Round One of Interviewing: ding! ding!
We know how many tax professionals are out there, open to work on LinkedIn, and we wish you the best of luck on your interviews! But better than luck and well wishes, here are a few tips to set yourself up for success on round one of the interview process.
1. Check in with yourself. You know yourself best, so take a moment to examine how this opportunity aligns with your goals, career, and life ambitions.
What do you know to be true about who you are professionally?
What about the culture of the company resonates?
Get clear about what you want from making a career change.
2. Research the company: Learn as much as you can about the company's history, mission, products, or services, and any recent news or events. This will help you understand their values and culture and show interest in the company.
3. Review the job description: Make sure you clearly understand the responsibilities and requirements of the position. This will help you tailor your responses to the interviewer's questions and show how your skills and experience align with the job.
4. Practice common interview questions: Prepare for common interview questions such as "Tell me about yourself," "Why do you want this job?" and "What are your strengths and weaknesses?" While these questions are not always directly asked anymore, it is best to be prepared to speak to these themes within your answers. Practice answering these questions with a friend or family member to help build your confidence.
5. Be polite and positive: Make an excellent first impression by being polite, positive, and enthusiastic. Smile, make eye contact, and show interest in the position and the company.
All those cliches about your "vibe attracts your tribe" is true. Interviewing is all about figuring out if this work tribe is a fit for you and vice versa. Be honest, and be true to yourself. Practice advocating for your goals and presenting the best version of yourself. By preparing ahead, you will quiet those nerves that can get in the way. By boosting your self-esteem and connecting to the mission of the company and the opportunity, you will keep any imposter syndrome at bay.
For more interview tips, visit our website, www.pgaatax.com/candidates, for our free interview preparation guide!